Daniel Powell defends product manufacturers, premises owners and contractors in toxic tort litigation involving high liability claims of catastrophic injury and wrongful death.
Dan serves as national coordinating counsel for a large industrial products company, helping direct the defense of products liability and premises claims across various active state and federal jurisdictions. In this role, he regularly collaborates with outside local counsel to develop and implement effective litigation strategies from the time the case is filed through trial.
In addition to his NCC role, Dan serves as local and regional counsel for a range of product manufacturer and contractor clients facing claims involving terminal illness and wrongful death. Tapping his extensive litigation experience, he develops and executes innovative strategies that help his clients meet – and exceed – their objectives.
Dan’s clients know he protects their interests by fully assessing risk and evaluating claims, interpreting purchase agreements and insurance policies, deposing and preparing witnesses, responding to written discovery regarding sensitive corporate information and effectively arguing pre-trial motions.
He frequently participates in mediations, settlement conferences and trial dockets in jurisdictions throughout the country to reach favorable resolution for his clients.
Dan lives in a northwest suburb of Chicago with his wife and two daughters. He enjoys camping with his family, running in the local forest preserve and chasing the leaderboard on his Peloton. He also enjoys supporting his hometown Bucks, Brewers, Packers and Badgers.
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2014, 2018 – present
Professional & Civic Involvement
- First Municipal District Pro Bono Program in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois
- Coordinated Advice and Referral Program for Legal Services (CARPLS)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- Secured a no liability/no damages award at a Cook County, Illinois, mandatory arbitration hearing on behalf of a pro bono client. The plaintiffs sought $15,000 for physical injuries, property damage, medical expenses and lost income resulting from a motor vehicle accident at an open intersection. The plaintiffs later dismissed the client from the case as a result of the arbitration award.
- Secured a no damages/no contribution award at a Cook County mandatory arbitration hearing on behalf of a pro bono client. The plaintiffs, including a minor child, sought $50,000 for soft tissue injuries and emotional distress resulting from the client’s alleged involvement in a motor vehicle accident. A co-defendant also sued the client for contribution. The plaintiffs and co-defendant later dismissed the client from the case as a result of the arbitration award.