Donald Segal uses a proverb to explain his approach to mentoring young attorneys and encouraging them to work out solutions to complex challenges: “If you give a man a fish, he’ll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he’ll eat for a lifetime.” Over the past 50 years, he has used his extensive experience, knowledge and thoughtful leadership to shape the careers of countless attorneys. The firm’s co-founders still turn to Don for his insight on complex matters.
A respected trial attorney, Don tried some of the earliest product liability and medical malpractice cases in Cook County, Illinois. In the late 1970s, as counsel for a Japanese auto manufacturer new to the American market, he developed particular knowledge of Japanese and other Asian products. He is also recognized for his work defending manufacturers of printing presses, graphic arts products and power tools. Outside of his extensive trial experience, he has been an arbitrator for 30 years for the American Arbitration Association and is a certified mediator.
Don has a long history of giving back to the community. In 1975, he joined the newly formed American Brain Tumor Association, the first national nonprofit organization dedicated solely to brain tumors, where he served as president and member of the board of directors. He also co-founded and serves on the board of directors for the Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States, a not-for-profit corporation that gathers and disseminates epidemiologic data on brain tumors.
Don is heavily involved in continuing legal education and pro bono programs at Segal McCambridge. He oversees the firm’s participation in the Chicago Municipal Court Pro Bono Program and serves as a mentor to the firm’s Pro Bono & Public Service Committee.
As head of the litigation practice at Epton, Mullin, Segal & Druth in the 1960s, Don began to work closely with attorneys William Mahoney, Jeffrey Singer and Edward McCambridge. In 1986, the four attorneys started Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney, Ltd., a firm focused solely on litigation. Under Don’s guidance, Segal McCambridge has grown from a four-lawyer firm in Chicago to more than 150 attorneys and additional offices in Austin, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Jersey City, New York, Philadelphia and St. Louis.
- Selected to Illinois Leading Lawyers, 2004 – present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law, 2014
- Illinois State Bar Association Distinguished Counselor
- Selected to Illinois Super Lawyers, 2005 – 2011
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Board of Directors and Past President, American Brain Tumor Association
- Founder, Board of Directors and Treasurer, Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Council of Lawyers
- Decalogue Society of Lawyers
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Obtained a successful ruling on a Daubert motion and summary judgment on behalf of a printing press manufacturer.
- Obtained two defense jury verdicts within one month in Cook County, Illinois, in product liability cases against power tool manufacturers. Both cases involved serious injuries to users of power tools.