Joseph Moore is a defense litigator with deep experience in construction defect, catastrophic personal injury, business interruption, product liability, transportation accidents, professional negligence, construction defect, intellectual property disputes and complex commercial litigation. Joe serves on Segal McCambridge’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee and the Chicago Office Hiring Committee.
With a practice that spans the country, Joe creates the strongest defense options and narratives at trial by investigating the underlying facts, science and details in each case. He keenly evaluates both strengths and weaknesses of key witnesses to further determine if and how a case should be tried.
Joe regularly engages with engineering, medical and economic experts across the country to cultivate the best strategic partners to defend complex matters, as these issues often hinge on highlighting highly specific – yet crucial – liability and damage issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Joe was a partner at a Midwest insurance defense firm where he managed all Indiana litigation and high-exposure matters for clients nationwide. He also worked as an associate defending dramshop and premises liability claims.
Joe earned his J.D. from Chicago-Kent College of Law with a certificate in intellectual property. He attended Northwestern University and earned a double major with a B.S. in industrial engineering and economics.
Outside of work, Joe enjoys golfing, tennis, singing, traveling and attending sporting events and concerts around Chicago.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Northwestern University Alumni Reunion Coordinator
- Sigma Nu Fraternity Alumni Advisory Board Member
- Sons & Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors
- Illinois Bar Association
- Indiana Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Lake County Indiana Bar Association
- Represented a defendant in an excess premises liability case arising out of an incident at a housing complex that rendered the plaintiff a quadriplegic. Twelve key liability and damages experts were identified, vetted and retained on behalf of the defendant. A favorable settlement was reached at mediation following the depositions of plaintiff’s liability and damages experts.
- Secured a favorable settlement via final mediation just prior to trial in a personal injury claim for back and spinal injuries resulting from a workplace safety incident. Engaged damage experts to highlight inability to link alleged injuries to claimed damages.
- Obtained a full dismissal in a matter involving a wrongful death and product liability claim against an insured arising out of a tragic highway incident. Filed motion to dismiss on personal jurisdiction for a foreign defendant based on the Bristol Myers Squib Supreme Court framework.
- Assumed excess defense of an insured on an admitted liability catastrophic damages claim following an industrial accident. Uncovered inconsistencies, conflicts and potential fraud among key witnesses previously used in liability and damages assessment. Secured a favorable structured settlement shortly thereafter on behalf of the insured at mediation.
- Represented a defendant in a product liability claim where the co-defendant was dismissed pursuant to Indiana Statute of Repose, and the defendant was originally denied opportunity to present comparative fault arguments against all parties. Key issues were certified for interlocutory appeal and briefed by the parties. A favorable settlement was reached on the eve of the appellate ruling.
- Represented a subrogation matter with property damage and complex business interruption claims following an industrial fire incident. Engaged experts to evaluate liability, total exposure and defense costs compared with early resolution options. Achieved a favorable settlement via early mediation after limited party discovery on both liability and damages.
- Favorably settled a matter involving a wrongful death action of a minor against an apartment complex and contracted security services company. Filed an early motion for summary judgment on behalf of the insured prior to mediation to display strength of affirmative defenses.
- Secured a favorable settlement in a complex litigation matter involving wrongful death, property damage and substantial business interruption claims. Engaged in technical and complicated multi-party expert depositions followed by disqualification of an opposing party liability expert
News & Events
- “E-Discovery,” contributing author, IICLE Business and Commercial Litigation, 2022