Kerry Lynn Rhoads is an experienced litigator who defends and advises her clients, including insurance companies and their insureds, in a multitude of contexts. She focuses on tort and coverage disputes involving transportation, product liability and construction defect, as well as employment matters. Kerry is a member of the firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.
Her experience covers all areas of first- and third-party automobile defense, insurance coverage and fraud, employment litigation, civil rights defense, professional and product liability, E&O and pharmaceutical and medical device litigation. Her deep experience makes her a trusted trial and appellate counsel choice for clients.
Kerry also provides proactive and ongoing counsel to her clients, consulting on pre-litigated matters, assisting with risk management and presenting seminars on pressing topics in the industry.
After obtaining her B.A. from Michigan State University, Kerry earned her J.D. from Wayne State University Law School.
Outside of work, Kerry enjoys her two sons, her dog, her Michigan State Spartans and is a passionate advocate for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Michigan Leading Lawyer, 2018—present
- Appointed Case Evaluator in Wayne County, Oakland County; Oakland County District Courts and as Special Defense Panelist for No-Fault cases
- Appointed to the State Bar of Michigan Professional Ethics Committee
- Appointed to the State Bar of Michigan Civil Procedure and Courts Committee
- Appointed to the Detroit Bar Association Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee
- Appointed to the State Bar of Michigan District I Character and Fitness Committee
- Judge, 2017 National Trial Competition, Regional Competition, sponsored by the Michigan State University College of Law and the Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Judge, 2009 National Trial Competition, Regional Competition, sponsored by the American College of Trial Lawyers and the Texas Young Lawyer’s Association
- Judge, 2008 National Trial Advocacy Competition, sponsored by the Michigan State University College of Law
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Detroit Bar Association, Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee
- Oakland County, Michigan, District Courts case evaluator and special defense counsel for no-fault cases
- State Bar of Michigan
- Insurance & Indemnity Law Section
- Labor & Employment Law Section
- Negligence Section
- Professional Ethics Committee 2019 –2022
- District I Character & Fitness Committee
- Civil Procedure & Courts Committee
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Oakland County Free Legal Aid Clinic
- Ohio Bar Association
- Obtained dismissal of a Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of disability discrimination against a nonprofit corporation.
- Received summary disposition on behalf of a premises owner in a general negligence claim where the plaintiff sought $500,000 at mediation.
- After appeal by the plaintiff, obtained summary judgment and award of attorney fees and costs on behalf of a mortgage broker who was sued by a wholesale lender in a commercial dispute.
- Achieved dismissal of $100,000-plus breach of contract claim involving a services contract.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC/Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of race discrimination against a mental health provider.
- Obtained summary disposition and an award of costs and fees from a third party for a commercial transportation client in a case with a seven-figure demand.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC/Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of disability discrimination and HIPAA violation against a mental health provider.
- Obtained dismissal of an EEOC/Michigan Department of Civil Rights claim involving allegations of race and disability discrimination on behalf of a medical facility.
- Obtained summary disposition in a UCC/Warranty/Magnuson Moss/Consumer Protection Act matter on behalf of an automobile company supplier.
- Obtained $0 case evaluation awards in UCC/Warranty/Magnuson Moss/Consumer Protection Act matters on behalf of an automobile company supplier on two separate occasions.
- Obtained a $0 case evaluation award on behalf of a commercial client in a commercial negligence matter.
- Obtained dismissal of a Michigan Department of Civil Rights/EEOC complaint involving allegations of race discrimination against a machine shop.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a client in a transportation negligence action.
- Successfully represented various employers, including union shops, in EEOC claims involving allegations of age, race and disability discrimination.
- Counsels a major nonprofit charitable organization on employment law and professional liability matters.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a transportation negligence case where the plaintiff asked for $600,000.Successfully handled numerous appellate matters, including briefing and oral arguments before the Michigan Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.