Lee Hurwitz concentrates his practice on toxic tort, product liability, transportation, life sciences and sports, recreation and entertainment. He has extensive experience handling insurance defense cases involving personal injury and subrogation claims and has prepared dozens of transportation cases for jury trial, taking nine cases to verdict as lead counsel.
As part of his approach, Lee provides creative solutions to complex legal issues, taking an aggressive approach to oral and written discovery to secure early and favorable results. He also coordinates litigation strategy with national counsel, insurance carriers’ adjusters and managers.
Prior to working at Segal McCambridge, he was an associate attorney with a boutique litigation firm in Chicago.
Lee earned his J.D. from the John Marshall Law School. He holds two B.A.s – one in journalism and one in political science – from Indiana University, where he also participated in the Little 500, the largest collegiate bike race in the United States.
Lee lives in Chicago with his wife and son. Outside of work, he spends his time with his family, golfing, cycling and actively supporting Boston sports teams and his Indiana Hoosiers.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Chicago Bar Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Served as first chair securing favorable defense verdicts in nine separate transportation jury trials in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.
- Secured favorable settlement for the defense for a medical device manufacturer in a multimillion-dollar claim filed in the United States District Court for the District of Nevada. Defense highlights included producing key fact witnesses for deposition, retaining critical expert witnesses and successfully arguing motion to compel the plaintiff to produce electronically stored information from his devices.
- Conducted hundreds of fact and expert witness depositions across toxic tort, transportation, life sciences and construction matters.
- Secured a favorable settlement after arguing motion in limine in advance of a transportation trial in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois.
- Assisted with defense of a multimillion-dollar bench trial in Los Angeles County involving an admitted liability transportation accident where the plaintiff underwent a below-the-knee amputation.
- Successfully represented multiple clients pro bono, including handling the re-sentencing hearing of an individual sentenced to life without parole after having been convicted as a minor.
News & Events
- Motor Vehicle Negligence and Defenses,” contributing editor, LexisNexis Illinois Personal Injury Litigation, 2021 Edition
- “Chapter 5: Declaratory Relief,” contributing editor, Civil Practice Before Trial, 2018
- “Rights, Remedies, and Procedures Under Illinois Law,” contributing author, IICLE, 2022
- “Trial Practice Issues,” Segal McCambridge CLE, 2021