Bill Mahoney is a founding partner of Segal McCambridge and has served in a leadership position at the firm for three decades.
Bill is a trial attorney concentrating on the defense of toxic tort and environmental cases. He conducts a national practice and has served as lead counsel at trials in Illinois, Texas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, New York, Massachusetts, California and Indiana.
He is national trial counsel for defendants named in thousands of asbestos-related cases and has served as national coordinating counsel for several corporations in mass tort litigation. He has been retained as counsel for defendants in state and federal class action proceedings and participated in the successful dismissal of class actions involving cellular telephones (brain cancer) and radar guns (leukemia).
He has substantial experience in electromagnetic field, chemical exposure, mold, benzene, mercury and welding rod litigation. Within the context of his toxic tort practice, he has particular depth in epidemiology, medical causation, toxicology, industrial hygiene, risk assessment and biostatistics. Bill has considerable experience defending general product liability, professional liability, construction, commercial and insurance coverage matters, as well as handling employment-related matters.
In addition to his leadership role at the firm, Bill is personally and professionally active in his community, serving as board chairman at two educational institutions, a member of the Chairman’s Circle at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, a member of the Society of Fellows of the Aspen Institute, a member of the Board of Trustees at Writers Theatre, a member of the Chairman’s Council of the National Democratic Institute, and chairman of the Human Rights Watch Chicago Committee. He resides in Chicago.
- Illinois Leading Lawyers, 2004 – present
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2005 – present
- Top Rated Environmental Litigation Attorneys in Chicago
- National Academy of Jurisprudence, Premier 100 Trial Attorneys in Illinois
- Member, Kennedy Center International Committee on the Arts (KCICA)
- 2015 Top Rated Lawyers in Mass Torts by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Alpha Sigma Nu National Jesuit Honor Fraternity
- Aspen Institute Executive Leadership Program, 2005
- Aspen Institute Justice and Law Program, 2006
- Blue Key Honor Fraternity
- Top Rated Lawyers in Insurance Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- Top Rated Lawyers in Mass Torts by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- Top Rated Lawyers in Energy/Environmental Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Joint Plaintiff/Defendant Steering Committee, Federal Asbestos Product Liability Litigation MDL 875, 2006
- Advisory Committee, National Security and International Policy, Center for American Progress
- International Policy Advisory Committee, Human Rights Watch
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Chairman’s Council, National Democratic Institute
- Chairman, Chicago Committee, Human Rights Watch
- Chairman’s Circle, Chicago Council on Global Affairs
- Society of Fellows, Aspen Institute
- Member, Board of Trustees, Writers Theatre
- Member, Business Council, Goodman Theatre
- Member, Advisory Board, Loyola University Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, Chicago Legal Clinic, 2009 – 2014
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2002 – present
- Member, Chicago Council of Lawyers
- Member, DRI
- Vice Chairman, Chicago Bar Foundation Investing in Justice Campaign
- President, Archbishop Quigley Board of Advisers, 1993 – 1996
- President, Sacred Heart School Board, 1994 – 1997
- Serves as national counsel for nine companies in asbestos-related litigation.
- Serves as national counsel for two companies in silica litigation.
- Secured defense verdicts in asbestos-related litigation in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Connecticut, Texas, Kansas, West Virginia, Massachusetts, Ohio and Florida.
- Successfully argued a Havner motion in Texas, excluding evidence of chrysotile exposure in evidence of specific causation.
- Successfully barred a plaintiff’s industrial hygiene expert on Daubert grounds in a Dallas County Consolidated asbestos hearing.
- Obtained summary judgment for a cellphone manufacturer in Illinois class action proceedings alleging brain cancer caused by electromagnetic exposure.
- Counsel for the Illinois Department of Insurance in liquidation proceeds and litigation involving an insolvent insurer.
- Co-counsel in an 88-day franchise termination trial in Cook County, Illinois.
News & Events
- “National Trends Driving Asbestos Litigation,” Asbestos Litigation Conference, Perrin Conferences, 2016
- “From War Crimes to Climate Change: Human Rights in 2016: Interview of Kenneth Roth, Executive Director of Human Rights Watch,” Chicago Council on Global Affairs, 2016
- “Cuba: Hope or Hype in Havana?”, moderator, Chicago Council on Global Affairs, 2015
- “Rwanda: Pathway to a Genocide,” Human Rights and a Just Society 9th Annual Symposium, Nicolas Copernicus University, 2014
- “National Trends During Asbestos Litigation,” Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview, Perrin Conferences, San Francisco, 2014
- “Lung Cancer Cases; Medical, Scientific and Trial Issues,” 17th National Advanced Forum on Asbestos Litigation, American Conference Institute, 2014
- “Cuba Uncensored: Interview of Yoani Sánchez, Gus Hart Fellowship Award Winner,” Chicago Council on Global Affairs, 2014
- “Bankruptcy Filings, Confirmations & Estimations and the Transparency Between Bankruptcy Trusts and Tort Litigation,” 15th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, American Conference Institute, 2013
- “Bankruptcy Filings, Confirmations & Estimations and the Transparency Between Bankruptcy Trusts and Tort Litigation,” 14th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, American Conference Institute, 2013
- “The Top Emerging Trends in 2013 Asbestos Litigation,” Cutting Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation Conference, Perrin Conferences, 2013
- “Year in Review: Examining Hot Jurisdictions, Emerging Trends, and What to Expect in 2013 After the Presidential and Congressional Elections,” 13th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, American Conference Institute, 2013
- “Emerging Risks – The Perennial Contenders,” Emerging Risks on Dual Frontiers: Perspectives on Potential Liabilities in the New Decade, Perrin Conferences, 2012
- “Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation – What to Expect in the Litigation in 2012,” Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Perrin Conferences, 2012
- “The Arab Spring, Human Rights, and International Law,” Human Rights and a Just Society, Nicolaus Copernicus University, 2011
- “Asbestos Litigation in 2011 & Beyond – Current & Emerging Trends,” Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Perrin Conferences, 2011
- “Managing Relationships in 2010 Asbestos Litigation,” Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Perrin Conferences, 2010
- “Fiber Type and Mesothelioma Causation – Update on Epidemiology and Practice Tips on Developing the Exposure Profile,” Asbestos Medicine Seminar, DRI, 2009
- “Genocide, Human Rights and International Justice: Past, Present and Future,” Human Rights and a Just Society, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Toruń, Poland, 2009
- “’Hot Jurisdictions: California, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas,” HB National Asbestos Litigation Conference, 2009
- “Status of the National Litigations and a Look at Their Future,” Mealey Lead Litigation Conference, 2008
- “Across the Pond: The Similarities & Differences Between the U.S. and U.K. Legal Systems,” Mealey 3rd Annual International Asbestos Conference, 2007
- “Pre-eminent Lawyers – Superstars of Trial,” DRI, 2007
- “Opening Statements in the Low Dose Chrysotile Case,” Asbestos Medicine Seminar, DRI, 2006
- “Catastrophic Damages and Corporate Conduct: A Defense Primer,” Asbestos Medicine Seminar, DRI, 2004
- “Ten Corporate Mistakes Leading to Punitive Damages,” Damages Seminar, DRI, 2004
- “Confronting Environmental, Asbestos, Mold and Other Organic Concerns,” Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, DRI, 2004
- “Asbestos Litigation and Legislation,” Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, DRI, 2003
- “Medical Defenses in Asbestos Litigation,” Mealey National Asbestos Conference, 2003
- “The Chrysotile Defense: Revisited,” Asbestos Medicine Symposium, DRI, 2001
- “Tort Reform in the New Millennium,” Annual Meeting Presidential Showcase Program, American Bar Association, 2001
- “Recent Appellate Developments in Asbestos Litigation,” Mealey National Asbestos Conference, 2000
- “Corporate Management of Toxic Tort Litigation,” Annual Meeting, American Bar Association, 1998
- “Environmental Contamination, Litigation Strategies and Bankruptcy Considerations,” Annual Meeting, American Bar Association, 1996
- “Essentials of Daubert in Practice: The Role of Expert Scientific Proof at Trial,” Annual Meeting, American Bar Association, 1997
- “The Case from Hell, Opening Statements for the Defendant in Toxic Tort Litigation,” National Meeting, American Bar Association ,1995
- “A Betrayal of our Better Angels,” Huffington Post, 2015
- Pattern Voir Dire Questions by Susan Broome, Ph.D., editorial advisory board, James Publishing, 2011
- “Asbestos Trust: Time for a Decision,” Asbestos column, HarrisMartin Publishing, 2005
- “Class Action and Mass Torts: History and Recent Developments,” Midwest Environmental Claims Association, 1997
- “Toxic and Hazardous Substances and Environmental Law: Annual Survey,” Tort & Insurance Law Journal, 1992 – 1996
- “The Defense of Increased Risk and Fear of Cancer Claims,” National Institute on Toxic Torts, American Bar Association, 1992