Andrew Kates is an experienced litigator concentrating his practice in the defense of toxic tort, product liability and commercial litigation matters. Throughout his career, he has assumed key roles such as national coordinating counsel, regional counsel and local counsel for, inter alia, automobile and equipment manufacturers. Andrew’s work spans all phases of litigation, including second-chair trial responsibilities and appellate work.
Andrew has significant experience serving as local counsel for various clients in New York City Asbestos Litigation (NYCAL). Notably, Andrew succeeded in overturning a decision of the NYCAL Administrative Judge on the issue of attorney-client privilege.
As national coordinating counsel, Andrew has managed nationwide liability dockets, assessed and analyzed risk, developed and implemented global defense strategies, coordinated expert and fact witness discovery and trained local counsel.
Attendant to his commercial litigation experience, Andrew has defended corporations in all facets of general liability, premises liability, employer-related litigation, financial services litigation and breach of contract cases, among other areas.
Andrew earned his J.D. from Touro School of Law, cum laude, where he received Dean’s List honors and was awarded the CALI Excellence for the Future award on three occasions. He holds a B.A. from Hofstra University’s School of Business.
- CALI Award – Pre-Trial Litigation
- CALI Award – Interviewing, Negotiating and Counseling
- CALI Award – American Legal Studies
- Matter of New York City Asbestos Litig., 151 A.D.3d 550 (1st Dept. 2017)
- Perdomo v. Firstsource Advantage, LLC, 2019 WL 4085255 (E.D.N.Y.)
- Nelson v. Argyropoulous, et al., 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 47140 (S.D.N.Y.)
- Sides v. Advance Auto Parts Inc., et al., 2023 NY Slip Op 30274(U) (N.Y. Sup. Ct., January 23, 2023)