Ilana Olman dedicates her practice to representing insurance companies in complex coverage disputes, as well as defending bad faith claims and lawsuits. She serves as the managing shareholder of the Fort Lauderdale office.
She guides insurers through evaluating an array of insurance policies, including commercial general liability, property, business auto, E&O, D&O, environmental, umbrella and excess policies, as well as other specialty insurance products.
Ilana represents insurers in coverage matters involving bodily injury and property damage, contamination cleanup, environmental remediation, product liability, professional liability, construction defect, ADA, TCPA, uninsured and underinsured motorists claims and bad faith/extra-contractual claims, as well as co-insurance and other insurance-related disputes. She also regularly assists insurers with evaluating and responding to timed policy limits demands.
Ilana presents and authors articles on insurance coverage and bad faith topics and serves as a certified instructor assisting insurance claim professionals with meeting their continuing education requirements for licensure with the State of Florida. She has provided CLE courses to members of legal organizations in Florida, as well as in-service presentations for insurance companies, providing both Florida and out-of-state continuing education credits.
Ilana currently serves as the vice chair of the Excess, Umbrella and Surplus Lines subcommittee within the Insurance Law Committee for Defense Research Institute (DRI) and serves as the Co-Chair of the Bad Faith Committee for the Florida Defense Lawyers Association (FDLA). She has been an active member of American Mensa since 2004.
She graduated magna cum laude with honors from Florida State University with a B.A. in creative writing and was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society. She obtained her J.D. from Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad College of Law, where she received the Book Award for civil pre-trial practice.
Ilana lives in Pompano Beach, Florida, with her husband who is a local firefighter/paramedic, their daughter and border collie. Outside of work, Ilana is an avid runner and enjoys attending Miami Dolphins games.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- DRI State Representative, Florida, 2023-2024
- Vice Chair, Excess, Umbrella and Surplus Lines Subcommittee
- Vice Chair, DRI’s Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium in New York, NY, 2023
- Annual Meeting, Insurance Law Committee Chair in Philadelphia, PA, 2022
- Marketing Chair, DRI’s Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium in New York, NY, 2021 and 2022
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- FDLA, Board of Directors, 2023-2024
- Chair, FDLA Florida Insurance Network Symposium in Tampa, FL 2022
- Broward County Bar Association
- American Mensa
News & Events
- “Does It Apply or Does It Not Apply, That Is the Question: The Enforceability of Chapter 627, Florida Statutes,” Trial Advocate Quarterly, 2018
- “Reluctant Coinsurers: Forcing Carriers to Insure,” In-House Defense Quarterly, co-author, Defense Research Institute, 2017
- “The Use of the Passive Voice: How to Confuse Your Reader Effectively,” co-author, For The Defense, Defense Research Institute, 2012
- “Catastrophic Losses – Insight on Champlain Tower,” DRI Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium, 2022
- “Application and Enforceability of Chapter 627, Florida Statutes,” Florida Defense Lawyer’s Association, Florida Liability Claims Conference, 2021
- “Climate Change: The Next Frontier for Insurance Coverage Issues and Litigation,” Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Florida Insurance Network Symposium, 2020
- “5 Hour Law and Ethics Update for Adjusters,” Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Florida Liability Claims Conference, 2018