Ilana Olman dedicates her practice to representing insurance companies in complex coverage disputes, as well as defending bad faith claims and lawsuits.
She guides insurers through evaluating an array of insurance policies, including commercial general liability, property, business auto, E&O, D&O, environmental, umbrella and excess policies, as well as other specialty insurance products.
Ilana represents insurers in coverage matters involving bodily injury and property damage, contamination cleanup, environmental remediation, product liability, professional liability, construction defect, ADA, TCPA, uninsured and underinsured motorists claims and bad faith/extra-contractual claims, as well as co-insurance and other insurance-related disputes. She also regularly assists insurers with evaluating and responding to timed policy limits demands.
She regularly presents and authors articles on insurance coverage and bad faith topics, and many of her articles have been published nationally. She is a certified instructor with the State of Florida Department of Financial Services and has provided licensed insurance adjusters with continuing education to meet requirements under licensure with the State of Florida. She has provided CLE courses to members of legal organizations in Florida, as well as in-service presentations for insurance companies, providing both Florida and out-of-state continuing education credits.
Ilana currently serves as the vice chair of the Excess, Umbrella and Surplus Lines subcommittee within the Insurance Law Committee for DRI and is an active member of the Florida Defense Lawyers Association and the Broward County Bar Association. She has been a member of American Mensa for more than 15 years.
She graduated magna cum laude with honors from Florida State University with a B.A. in creative writing and was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society. She obtained her J.D. from Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad College of Law, where she received the Book Award for civil pre-trial practice.
Ilana lives in Pompano Beach, Florida, with her husband who is a local firefighter/paramedic, their daughter and border collie. Outside of work, Ilana is an avid runner and enjoys attending Miami Dolphins games.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Vice Chair, DRI Excess, Umbrella and Surplus Lines subcommittee
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Broward Bar Association
- American Mensa
- Pompano Beach Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- Appointed vice chair of the Excess, Umbrella and Surplus Lines subcommittee within the Insurance Law Committee for the DRI, 2021
- Appointed marketing chair for the DRI’s Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium (ICP) in New York, 2021
- Appointed chair for the FDLA’s Florida Insurance Network Symposium (FINS), 2022
News & Events
- “Does It Apply or Does It Not Apply, That Is the Question: The Enforceability of Chapter 627, Florida Statutes,” Trial Advocate Quarterly, 2018
- “Reluctant Coinsurers: Forcing Carriers to Insure,” In-House Defense Quarterly, co-author, Defense Research Institute, 2017
- “The Use of the Passive Voice: How to Confuse Your Reader Effectively,” co-author, For The Defense, Defense Research Institute, 2012
- “Application and Enforceability of Chapter 627, Florida Statutes,” Florida Defense Lawyer’s Association, Florida Liability Claims Conference, 2021
- “Climate Change: The Next Frontier for Insurance Coverage Issues and Litigation,” Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Florida Insurance Network Symposium, 2020
- “5 Hour Law and Ethics Update for Adjusters,” Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Florida Liability Claims Conference, 2018