Michael Barzyk brings more than two decades of experience in civil litigation, including premises liability, negligent security, first-party property coverage, construction defect litigation, transportation and professional liability. He is board-certified in construction law by the Florida Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization and Education.
He has a strong track record of successfully trying property and casualty loss cases to verdict in courts throughout Florida.
Michael currently serves as chair of the firm’s Construction practice group. He is a certified instructor with the State of Florida, Department of Financial Services providing continuing education to licensed insurance adjusters He also presents CLE courses on best practices to lawyers and insurance professionals and in-service seminars to insurance companies.
Earlier in his career, Michael was an assistant state attorney in Miami-Dade County, where he litigated more than 40 jury trials to verdict. After leaving the state attorney’s office, he went into private practice litigating medical malpractice and complex personal injury cases.
He is currently a member of the Florida Bar, the Broward County Bar Association, the Florida Defense Lawyers Association and the DRI. Michael is a member of the firm’s Strategic Planning Committee.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Chair, Construction Law Section, Broward County Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Premises Liability Committee, The Florida Defense Lawyers Association (FDLA), 2023 – present
- Member of the Florida Bar Construction Law Grade Review Committee, 2023 – present
- Chair, Construction Law Section of the Broward County Bar Association, 2017 – 2019, 2021 – 2022
- Obtained summary judgment at the trial court level for a homeowner’s insurance company in a first-party property case.
- Secured a defense verdict in a premises liability trial where the plaintiff sought more than $250,000 in damages.
- Obtained summary judgment in a first-party property claim where a vendor under an assignment of benefit contract was seeking more than $100,000 in roof damages.
- Successfully defended a general contractor client in a multimillion-dollar construction defect claim involving a high-rise condominium.
- Successfully defended a brass ball valve supplier in a $10 million product liability claim.
- Secured the dismissal of an administrative complaint filed by the Florida Department of Health against an oral surgeon and a separate complaint filed against an internal medicine physician.
- Secured the dismissal of a negligence claim against a landowner involving a slip and fall in a parking lot with damages in excessive of $100,000.
- Secured summary judgment in a premises liability case involving a plaintiff who fell and claimed a brain injury and loss of earning capacity.
News & Events
- “Case Law and Statute Update,” Perrin Conferences National Construction and Defect Conference, 2023
- “Senate Bill No.: 7052 Insurer Accountability, Effective July 1, 2023,” In-Service Webinar, 2023
- “Florida 2022 Special Session 2A and its Impact on Pre-Suit Property Insurance Practices,” Webinar, 2023
- “Investigations of Hurricane Damage: Wind vs. Water – Pitfalls & Challenges,” FDLA Florida Insurance Network Symposium, 2022
- “Case Law Study Hall,” Olympus, 2022
- “Fraud and Concealment,” Florida Defense Lawyers Association (FDLA) Friday Roundtables, 2021
- “Ethics and Tripartite Relationship,” National Perrin Webinar, 2021
- “Law and Ethics Update – Ethical Requirements,” Florida Liability Claims Conference (FLCC), 2019
- “Law and Ethics Update,” Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Company, 2018
- “Case Law Update – Construction Law Year in Review,” Broward County Bar Association, Construction Law Section, 2016
- “The Defense of Wrongful Death Claims,” Nova Southeastern University Law School, 2015
- “Chapter 558 Construction Defect Claims,” American Empire Insurance Company, 2010