Tony Sbarra is a seasoned trial attorney who focuses his practice on products liability and toxic tort cases. He defends manufacturers of various products, including automobiles, trucks, construction equipment and agricultural machinery. Tony also handles toxic tort actions, especially those involving asbestos.
In his role as lead examining counsel, Tony has conducted numerous lay and expert depositions across the country. He excels in examining experts from various fields, including epidemiologists, industrial hygienists, pathologists, naval historians and occupational medicine practitioners. Notably, Tony has played a pivotal role as a member of asbestos trial teams representing major motor vehicle manufacturers in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. He has tried asbestos cases to verdict in New York.
With over three decades of experience defending general liability, products liability and toxic tort cases, Tony has an impressive track record. He has taken over 30 cases to verdict in Superior Court and 60 cases in District Court. Additionally, he has arbitrated and mediated several hundred cases. Beyond his role as an attorney, Tony also serves as a neutral arbitrator in personal injury cases and has been appointed as guardian ad litem for individuals injured in such cases.
Tony is not only dedicated to his legal practice but also to giving back to the community. His pro bono work includes representing attorneys seeking readmission to the Bar.
As a leader in his field, Tony is actively involved in prominent legal organizations. He served as an elected National Director for DRI – Lawyers Representing Business, a global membership organization for attorneys engaged in civil litigation defense. Recognized for his trial experience, he is also an elected member of the American Board of Trial Advocates. In 2023, Tony was named Lawyer of the Year in Boston for Mass Torts by Best Lawyers of America.
Furthermore, Tony is a sought-after legal educator, frequently serving as faculty for continuing legal education programs conducted by prestigious organizations such as the Massachusetts Bar Association, the Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, the American Bar Association, and the American Conference Institute, in addition to the insurance industry. He is a national lecturer for DRI and has been a featured presenter at DRI seminars on multiple occasions. Tony has also been invited to speak on behalf of DRI at events hosted by local defense organizations across the United States.
- AV® PreeminentTM Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Superb 10.0 rating from Avvo
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Mass Torts Litigation and Personal Injury – Defendants, 2018 – present
- Named to Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Mass Torts, Boston, 2023
- Selected to Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2005 – present
- Exceptional Performance Citation, DRI, 2012
- Special recognition awards for member recruitment at DRI’s Leadership Conferences in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Outstanding Leadership Award, MassDLA
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- National Director, DRI
- Associate Member, Massachusetts Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Counsel of Rhode Island
- Obtained defense verdict in Plymouth Superior Court where plaintiff, who sustained permanent injuries in motor vehicle accident, alleged that adult defendant negligently supervised operator who was intoxicated at time of accident.
- Obtained summary judgement in Barnstable Superior Court in paraplegia case where plaintiff alleged that professional tree cutting was “inherently dangerous” activity.
- Obtained defense verdict in Worcester Superior Court where plaintiff alleged that lack of handrail on attic stairs proximately caused fall resulting in permanent back injuries.
- Obtained defense verdict in Lowell Superior Court where plaintiff alleged that defendant was liable for tree falling on car causing permanent head injuries.
- Obtained defense verdict in Fall River Superior Court where plaintiff alleged that he was permanently injured when struck from the rear by defendant’s vehicle.
- Obtained defense verdict in Somerville District Court (jury of six) where plaintiff alleged permanent scarring from dog bite.
- Obtained defense verdict in Lowell Superior Court on causation after court directed verdict for plaintiff on issue of liability.
- Obtained defense verdict in Lawrence Superior Court where plaintiff alleged defendant construction company negligently maintained scaffolding system.
- Defeated declaratory judgment action at summary judgment stage in Norfolk Superior Court where homeowner’s carrier declined coverage for social host claim.
- Obtained summary judgement in Plymouth Superior Court in favor of automobile manufacturer in asbestos/mesothelioma case after Special Master recommended denial of motion.
- Obtained summary judgement in Bridgeport Superior Court in favor of naval engine manufacturer due to lack of sufficient expert product identification testimony.
- Obtained of claims in Providence Superior Court in asbestos/mesothelioma case just before jury selection.
- Obtained defense verdict in Plymouth Superior Court where plaintiff sustained permanent facial/eye injuries while constructing a deck at defendant’s home.
- Obtained defense verdict in Suffolk Superior Court where plaintiff fractured leg while delivering oil to defendant’s home.
- Obtained defense verdict in Norfolk Superior Court where plaintiff fractured hip when she fell at a donut shop after being bumped by the defendant.
- Obtained defense verdict in Plymouth Superior Court where plaintiff fractured both hips, requiring surgery, after tripping over a holiday decoration (pumpkin) while delivering packages to the defendant’s home.
- Obtained defense verdict in Norfolk Superior Court where plaintiff sustained shoulder injuries falling while filling his car with gas at the defendant’s service station.
- Verdict of $2,400 in dog bite case in Fall River Superior Court. Plaintiff alleges permanent scarring and nerve/leg injuries and demanded $100,000. Settlement offer prior to trial was $15,000.
- Obtained defense verdict in Hamden Superior Court where plaintiff fractured leg falling on snow and ice on the defendant’s driveway.
- Obtained defense verdict overturning a plaintiff’s award from the District Court obtained in Fall River Superior Court in motor vehicle accident case.
- Obtained defense verdict in Middlesex Superior Court where plaintiff sustained facial and head injuries with resulting vertigo after being hit by a shot-put thrown by the defendant at high school track practice.
- Obtained defense verdict in Middlesex Superior Court where plaintiff sustained wrist injuries after an altercation with her sister-in-law at a family holiday gathering.
- Obtained defense verdict in Suffolk Superior Court where plaintiff fractured leg when struck by wedding guest while dancing at the defendant’s premises.
- Obtained defense verdict obtained in Plymouth Superior Court where plaintiff fractured both feet and legs falling from the defendant’s roof.
- Awarded summary judgement in mesothelioma case where plaintiff through documents, but not testimony, claimed he was exposed to Rockwell brakes allegedly installed in Mack trucks. Rockwell prevailed on argument that “a” supplier was not the same as “the” supplier. This was the first contested summary judgment motion awarded to an asbestos defendant in Providence Superior Court in over 20 years.
- Awarded summary judgement to the Hartford Yard Goats minor league baseball team in dispute over construction of Dunkin Donuts Park. The plaintiff claimed that the team and its owner tortuously interfered with its contracts with the City of Hartford. The case was in the Hartford Superior Court Complex Litigation section and, despite Connecticut’s high summary judgment burden, the defendants were able to illustrate that no such interference occurred as a matter of law.