Michael Sena brings over 35 years of experience to the forefront, excelling in toxic tort defense, products liability, and commercial litigation. With an impressive track record of trying more than forty (40) cases across state and federal courts in New York, New Jersey, and beyond, he has established himself as a seasoned legal practitioner.
He adeptly handles products liability cases, spanning construction defects, chemical burns, fires, explosions, and mechanical products, while addressing toxic exposures like benzene and lead. Notably, he has significantly influenced legal precedent concerning federal preemption of state warning claims in the products field.
Within asbestos litigation, Michael represents a diverse array of defendants, including those from the automotive, equipment and product manufacturing sectors. He serves as a pivotal regional trial counsel, demonstrating his influential role in navigating personal injury and property damage cases. His track record includes securing defense verdicts in an impressive 22 consolidated asbestos cases within the United States District Court, Southern District of New York.
Michael has authored comprehensive literature on subjects such as lead paint and successor liability. As a seminar and conference speaker, he has shared his insights with numerous insurance groups and diverse audiences through insightful lectures on the intricacies of toxic tort litigation.
- Selected to New York Super Lawyers, 2011 – present
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Association of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Successful trial verdict to recover defense costs and defeat “completed operations” and “intended use” exclusions in commercial policy from the United States District Court, Southern District of New York.
- Obtained dismissal from the Appellate Division, First Department in behalf of product manufacturer for claimed defect in flooring based on expert submissions.
- Defense at trial of State of New York in claim to recover nine-million-dollar verdict for alleged “grave injury” following jury verdict; verdict pending.
- Successful appeal for product manufacturer in a claim for contribution based on “economic loss” rule.
- Successful defense at trial of major insulation manufacturer where defense verdicts in 22 consolidated asbestos cases returned; largest group of defense verdict rendered.
- Successful appeal to paint and coating manufacturer involving Federal Hazardous Substances Act.
- Obtained dismissal of product manufacturer on preemption grounds under Federal Hazardous Substances Act.
- Defense of hotel owner at trial and full indemnification granted on appeal from the Court of Appeals, Second Circuit.
- Obtained dismissal of parent corporation on jurisdictional grounds vis-a-vis subsidiary.