Peter Strelitz is an accomplished litigator with 20 years of experience as both national counsel and lead Texas counsel for medical device companies, large corporations, product manufacturers, premises owners, healthcare agencies, facilities, physicians and transportation companies. Peter’s cases involve product and medical device liability, catastrophic injury claims, employment suits and a variety of litigation matters.
Peter is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and is the managing shareholder of Segal McCambridge’s Austin and Houston offices. He serves as chair of the firm’s Employment practice group and is a member of the Strategic Planning Committee. Peter previously served as chair of the firm’s Transportation practice group.
Over the course of his career, Peter has learned that adaptability is the key to a successful defense. Whether handling an individual employment matter or high-stakes pattern medical device litigation, he anticipates each step in the case and ensures the defense is tailored to meet every challenge head-on. As a result, the client’s best interest remains consistent with the litigation strategy.
Prior to joining the firm, Peter served as an assistant attorney general where he defended employment lawsuits representing universities, state agencies and state actors in matters through trial in both state and federal courts. Notably, he defended the Office of the Texas Governor and testified before the Texas House of Representatives in defense of state health care programs litigated in federal court.
Outside of his work in the legal arena, Peter spends time with his wife and twin sons. He enjoys live music and remains a devoted fan of the Longhorns, Cowboys, Mavericks and Rangers.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel (TADC)
- Austin Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Young Texans Against Cancer, founding member (YTAC)
- Groundwork Music Project, previous treasurer and board member
- Serves as environmental national coordinating counsel for a Fortune 500 company.
- Serves as national trial and coordinating counsel on behalf of a post-surgical pain relief medical device manufacturer in industry-wide litigation.
- Successfully argued and won a take-nothing judgment in a wrongful termination arbitration matter involving a former hospital employee.
- Represents a technology review company as lead defense counsel in federal court litigation alleging defamation, misrepresentation and Lanham Act violations.
- Successfully resolved class actions related to the Fair and Accurate Credit Reporting Act (FACTA).
- Serving as lead trial counsel in multiple catastrophic motor vehicle accident cases involving significant injuries and fatalities.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a large S-corporation sued for minority shareholder oppression related to oil and gas leases in the Eagle Ford Shale, projected to produce more than $400 million in oil and gas royalties. Peter was the lead lawyer in the mediation, which involved more than 30 parties and 10 lawyers.
- Successfully obtained temporary and permanent injunctions for a client whose business suffered significantly after terminated employees waged a campaign of harassing phone calls and defamatory web postings.
- Argued motions to obtain dismissal of a punitive damages claim and the exclusion of one of the plaintiff’s two expert witnesses in a trial set case pending in Arizona federal court. The case was settled shortly after the rulings and days prior to trial.
- Defended State of Texas health care programs for underprivileged children in federal court.
- Successfully argued summary judgment motions dismissing more than 100 claims on behalf of all defendants in a toxic exposure case pending in state court.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a state university and its board of directors in a race and gender discrimination lawsuit in federal court.
- Obtained a defense verdict as lead trial counsel for a state mental health agency in a gender discrimination lawsuit litigated in state court.