Robert Rigolosi defends companies in mass tort, product liability, construction accident, property damage and commercial matters. He also serves as national coordinating counsel and local counsel for equipment manufacturers in asbestos litigation.
His deep experience helps clients manage risk as they navigate hostile jurisdictions, and they rely on him for his creative solutions to difficult problems.
Prior to joining Segal McCambridge, Robert clerked for the Honorable Daniel Mecca in the New Jersey Superior Court, Bergen County. He also worked at an international law firm focusing in product liability.
Robert lives in Manhattan with his wife and two sons. When possible, he and his family escape to the woods in southern Vermont.
- Law Clerk, Honorable Daniel P. Mecca, Superior Court of New Jersey, 1999 – 2000
- Lecturer, Marino Institute of Continuing Legal Education, New York and New Jersey Pre-Trial Civil
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- The Defense Association of New York
- New York Court of Appeals Chief Judge Selection Panel, 2022
- Board of Directors, 2013 – 2016
- New York State Bar Association
- Served as national coordinating counsel for a multinational equipment manufacturer in asbestos litigation.
- Successfully defended a multinational corporation by securing a pre-discovery dismissal – and avoiding a potential multi-million-dollar product defect trial in New York federal court.
- Defended a bi-state municipal entity in contract and personal injury litigation.
- Led a crisis management team in mediation and negotiation to resolve 400 pre-litigation claims from high-rise residents forced from their homes when construction work flooded and damaged their building.
- Co-authored a brief to New York’s highest state court regarding the nonexistence of a duty for a premises owner to a member of an employee’s household for secondary exposure to a toxic substance.
- Protected a family-owned construction company from a multi-million-dollar Oklahoma federal court lawsuit stemming from a coercive contract clause to indemnify a product manufacturer for injuries caused by its own design defects.
- Co-authored motion for summary judgment to successfully defend a worldwide hair dye manufacturer in a toxic tort liability action.
- Obtained summary judgment for a governmental entity on workers compensation lien valued at several hundred thousand dollars.
- Counsel for ephedra manufacturer with national litigation consolidated in New York federal court.
News & Events
Publications – Author
- “State Law Updates – New York,” author, Segal McCambridge Toxic Tort Newsletter, 2007
- “Case Notes: Appellate Review,” co-author, Segal McCambridge New York Advocate, 2007
- “Electronic Discovery Under New Federal Rules and in New York State Courts: Thinking Proactively About ESI and the Burden of Production,” co-author, Segal McCambridge New York Advocate, 2007
- “Federal Jurisdiction and Civil Procedure,” Marino Bar Review, 2014
- “2013 New Jersey Bar Review Course,” Marino Bar Review, 2013