Ilana Hanau focuses her practice on all areas of professional liability, employment litigation, E&O, A&E, D&O, coverage, cyber risks, general liability, first-party property and construction. She also has extensive experience in the insurance defense realm.
Prior to joining Segal McCambridge, Ilana worked as senior managing partner for the New York and New Jersey offices of a litigation insurance defense firm where her practice focused on professional liability, D&O, E&O and more. She has served as a claims manager for a boutique property and casualty insurance agency and as a vice president and claims advocate for a global insurance organization located in approximately 80 countries and jurisdictions. She also served as a claims professional for several insurance companies.
Ilana earned her J.D. from the American University Washington College of Law. She holds a B.A. in English and legal studies from Brandeis University. In 2007, she completed the Certified Structured Settlement Consultant (CSSC) program at the University of Notre Dame. She co-chaired the Legal and Political Action Committees for the National Structured Settlement Trade Association for several years.
Outside of her work in the legal arena, she enjoys live music, great food, travel, her Peloton and her dog Raider.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Brooklyn Bar Association
- Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management (CLM) Alliance
- New York City Association of Insurance Women
- New York Women’s Bar Association
- UJA General Insurance Dinner Committee
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Eastern Chapter board member
- Successfully moved for summary judgment on the entire controversy doctrine in New Jersey Superior Court, Monmouth County, on behalf of a real estate broker.
- Procured the dismissal of a lawyer’s professional negligence complaint in the New York State Supreme Court, Kings County, for failure to state a cause of action.
- Successfully moved to dismiss a complaint in a lawyer’s professional liability action on the basis of privilege, qualified privilege and judgmental immunity in the New York State Supreme Court, Nassau County.
- Successfully mediated the resolution of an accountant’s professional negligence complaint filed originally in Chancery Court and thereafter in New Jersey Superior Court, Somerset County, regarding the mismanagement of a nonprofit partnership as well as theft of funds by the majority shareholder.
- Negotiated a de minimis settlement of an alleged legal malpractice action filed in the Southern District of New York involving an EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program after filing a motion for summary judgment.
- Defended a maritime action in the Eastern District of New York on behalf of a cleaning facility. The case settled after mediation for less than 20 percent of the plaintiff’s demand.
- Represented an accountant before the SEC, DOJ and postmaster general’s office in the Southern District of New York and prevented their designation as a target of investigation in an underlying Ponzi scheme.
- Defended title agents/closing agents and attorneys in cyber fraud claims of negligent transfer and disbursement of closing funds.
- Represented numerous property preservation companies and subcontractors in New York and New Jersey State courts in cases involving clean-outs, personal injury and wrongful death.
- Represented accountants and auditors designated as witnesses in SEC and DOJ investigations regarding the failing of publicly traded companies.