Carla Varriale-Barker is an accomplished litigator who is at home in a courtroom, board room or classroom. She represents a portfolio of clients in the sports, recreation, amusement and hospitality industries with a client-centered practice focusing on tort, discrimination, contract, insurance and premises liability matters, including the defense of claims arising from alcohol service, security lapses, discrimination in places of public accommodation, sexual abuse and molestation.
She is chair of the firm’s Sports, Recreation & Entertainment practice group.
Carla counsels clients involved with the U.S. Center for SafeSport, an organization established by Congress to address sexual abuse, bullying and other misconduct, and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Movements. She is an adjunct instructor at Columbia University’s School of Professional Studies where she has taught in the Sports Management Program since 2008.
Prior to joining Segal McCambridge, Carla was a founding partner of a women-owned law firm. She has also written for the American Bar Association about diversity and inclusion and the importance of mentorship and sponsorship.
Carla earned her J.D. from New York Law School where she was part of the Order of the Barristers and the Moot Court Executive Board. She holds a B.A. from Boston University.
Outside of work, she enjoys exploring art and design, writing and practicing yoga.
Professional & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Member, Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee, 2022
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM) Alliance
- International Amusement and Leisure Defense Association
- Obtained a summary judgment win for a client in a Supreme Court, Suffolk County water park case.
News & Events
- “A More Perfect Union: MMA Athletes and Unionization,” Michigan State International Law Review, 2019
- Featured Guest, Sports Law Expert – A Podcast, Hackney Publications, 2022
- “Inclusion and Belonging: Moving Beyond the Binary,” DEI and Sports Virtual Speaker Series, Fordham Gabelli School of Business, 2022
- “Legal Approaches to Addressing Allegations of Sexual Abuse in Sports,” National Sports Law Institute 33rd Annual Conference, Marquette University Law School, 2022
- “Incident Reporting and Litigation: From the Venue to the Courthouse,” IIFX Virtual Town Hall, 2022
- “Trends in Sexual Abuse and the Status of Litigation,” Perrin Conferences Virtual Sexual Abuse Litigation and Coverage Conference, 2022
- “More Than a Mentor: How to Sponsor for Success,” CLM 2022 Annual Conference, 2022
- “Olympics 2020 in 2021: On Your Mark, Get Set, Go… Hopefully,” Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Spring Meeting, New York State Bar Association, 2021
- “Women in Sports Law,” Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Society panel, St. John’s University School of Law, 2021
- “Negligent Security Litigation – Preparing for the Unexpected,” National Sports Safety and Security Conference, 2021